Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Google Birth or Google Earth?

Google Birth



Such are 

the days where you no longer ask your momma, sister, or friend, "What to Expect When  Your Expecting." You just Google it.

I will use the word, "Google" instead of search engines in hopes that Google will pay me, want to advertise with me, or give me ownership in their company. So, Google, Google, Google!

I had a patient who was supposedly from out of town, about 30 weeks pregnant and complained of back pain. I gave her the likely cause of her pain and what the doctor would probably do. She said, "well, won't I get an ultrasound?" I proceeded to tell her that with her symptoms an ultrasound would be unlikely. A little later, I returned back to her room, and she had some NEW symptoms to report. She told me that she had "epigastric" pain and "visual disturbances." I said, "point to me on your body where you are feeling this pain." Well, she certainly did not point to the epigastric region, nor was she able to describe her "visual disturbances." 

Obviously, while I was out of the room, this patient and her friend had Googled reasons a doctor may order an ultrasound. 

                                   
What this patient doesn't realize is we keep up with the changing times too. We are fully aware, and a few steps ahead of the information highway, when it comes to Obstetrics. 
Try us, please. No question is stupid. Well, that's not true but I can assure you, we've heard worse.

                                           

The internet can be a great resource, but it can also be the source of much confusion, anxiety, and misinformation.
                               
                        
Mommies, be careful of what you Google.  
Be careful of the stranger at Walmart that gives you advice.
Be careful of your Mother's sister's cousin who had the worst birth ever.

Mommies, be careful of what you Google!



No comments:

Post a Comment