Monday, December 10, 2012

How to Hire a Doula... Cheap!

How to hire a doula... cheap!

Answer: She (or he) is included in the price of your hospital stay... YOUR NURSE!





Obviously, this post is for hospital births, not home births. For the rest of you, keep on reading, think it out...



I often see first time moms bring doulas with them to the hospital. First let me say, I love doulas. Duh, I am one! 





Great, quick story: I once had a patient from a European country, who was having her first baby. She arrived at the hospital and instantly asked for an epidural. With her permission, I checked her cervix, and she was about 7-8 centimeters. She started crying! She said, "I wanted an epidural." I said, "well, you can probably still get one, but you can SO do this!" She said, "do you really think I can?" Oh man, she needed a boost of confidence and wow, she totally did it... un-medicated with no interventions! Now, WAIT FOR IT, WAIT FOR IT... She was talking on the phone to her sister who wasn't able to get to the US to attend the birth. The patient told her sister of all of the different positions I showed her to use to labor and push, and how I stayed by her side. She used the ball, bar, tub, toilet, chairs, dancing, music... I heard her sister scream on the phone! Her sister said, "YOUR NURSE IS A DOULA!" Well, come to find out her sister was a doula too. The patient had no clue as to what I/WE had to offer her. Are you following? 

Ask yourself the obvious, why would a nurse decide to work in labor and delivery? Hmm, it is a highly litigious field full of extreme highs and lows. The lows are so low, that they are often unspeakable and certainly will not be covered in this post. 

Why would we do this you may ask? Einstein, we love birth! 


So, lets put this into a formula:

x=the experience of a doula      
y=trained professional in Obstetrics and Post-Partum

xy= One heck of an experienced doula, who is also a nurse!

Fact: nurses innately and by trade are your advocates. Share your concerns, fears, and wants with your nurse. 

Get to know your OB/GYN... well! As my grandma would have said, "land sakes, child," get to know them!

Get to know your hospital. Plan a tour! Ask questions, lots of questions. I'll bet you most of the things you put in your birth plan, your doctor and hospital already do!

 Education and reality are truly a delicate mix.


Again, I am not saying, don't hire a doula! There are a few out there, that I LOVE to see coming (Jen, Cathy, I love ya!).

 I'm just saying, consider your nurse and why they do what they do!



Love this!


Definition of DOULA

: a woman experienced in childbirth who provides advice, information, emotional support, and physical comfort to a mother before, during, and just after childbirth
sited: Merriam-Webster.com



No comments:

Post a Comment